Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Oldies???

Okay, it's just not right.
A few months ago I go in search of online radio stations that I can listen to during work.
Not true internet radio stations, but official brick and mortar radio stations that broadcast simultaneously live over the internet. And I find several.
Several good ones.
And I'm excited.
WNIC, the station I listened to religiously as a teenager is there.
But it's changed. 
Gone is the soft rock and soothing, loving voices of past DJs.
"Pillow Talk" is replaced with something that makes me want to bang my head against a pillow.
The morning crew is...unappealing and somewhat obnoxious.
So I move on.
WRVR out of Toledo is there.
And it's good.  Very good.
But Linda and I used to listen to that during the work day and share thoughts on our favorite songs when they aired. And Linda has since moved on to a better job that she loves.
So 101.5 is a downer somehow.
So I move on.
99.1 is there. And it's okay.
Home.FM is there. And it's okay.  Though a little too "inspirational" for an entire day of listening.
And there are some country stations there.
But country isn't what I need to get me through it all.
Then I discover WOMC.
The Oldies Station from my teenage years.
The Oldies Station that my nephews love.
The Oldies Station that reminds me of my childhood, and makes me feel closer to those whom I've moved away from since getting married.
And I'm psyched.
I load the live stream.
I bookmark the station under my "Radio" bookmark file.
I'm ready.
Get set.
Play.
And it's wonderful.
Perky.
(Since Dick Purton is still there in the mornings.)
A little irritating.
(Since Dick Purton is still there in the mornings.)
And it's great.
Then I listen for an extended period of time.
And I realize that, while I still love it, the "oldies" that it's playing are actually the songs of the eighties that I listened to growing up.  Not the "oldies" of the 50s and 60s. Or even the 70s.
The 80s!!!!!
What's up with that!!!????
It can't be that my favorite music era has now reached the level of being called "oldies," can it?
Say it ain't so!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment